Review: Cha-ology お茶とお菓子 Cafe in Manchester, U.K.

Matcha Desserts Overdose.
Location: Manchester, U.K.

So basically I was in Manchester for few days and I happened to get to know this 'cafe' through Instagram. Everyone posted about their 'matcha' desserts and some people was saying this cafe was 'overrated'. Anyway, I went there to experienced myself. As far as I know, the opening time and days of this cafe various throughout the month so I was quite 'LUCKY' to be able to sit in and enjoy my dessert.

*Opening Times Various throughout the month and you could check the opening times and days through their official Facebook and Instagram accounts*

So far for this month, December the opening times and days are;
*no reservation available in this shop, it's a first come first serve based*
*takeaway is available*
Open: Wednesday - Saturday at 2p.m. - 7p.m.
Closed: Sunday - Tuesday

The Queue
I decided to walk there from the train station when I reached Manchester (using my google map since I haven't been to Manchester for almost 2 years!)and I manage to find it because there was a QUEUE outside the shop at 1.57p.m. and I decided to join in the queue since everyone in front of me were in pairs and I'm the only odd one, standing there queueing alone😑. So I was basically the last one to get to be dining in the cafe when it was open since the owner of the cafe, a young Japanese lady was counting how many of was in the queue and I was literally the last person to be able to stay in for my matcha desserts.

Cafe Interior Overview;
  • Simple, Clean and Relaxing Japanese Style Tearoom. 
  • 2 tables with 4 seater, 1 table with 2 seater, shoes had to be removed before seating down 
  • 2 seater by the tea counter.
  • 1 table on the right side of the cafe door filled with tap water + glasses and hanging menu.
  • 1 counter table by the open kitchen and a clean toilet in the cafe.
  • Overview Interior Rating: 5/5
Below were few pictures taken by me while waiting for my desserts to arrived in the cafe shop.

Water + Hanging Menu.
The Japanese Lady, I assumed she's the boss of this lovely cafe with today's menu.
Menu by the tea bar.
Busy trying to serve all the customers.
Christmas Cakes (Private Orders placed by customers)
Cafe Hospitality; 

  • Desserts - Very fast since all of them were pre made before the cafe open
  • Drinks - Very slow since she need to heat up the soy milk/milk, measure the matcha powder, and finally using a bamboo whisk and whisking it in front of you. The matcha drinks were not added with any sugar and a cube of brown sugar was given as an option to be added into the drink.
  • Cafe Hospitality Ratings: 3/5 (My reason were listed below, but I made a new friend in 5 minutes while waiting for my matcha drink to be done)
  • All I can say is, you need to be patience when you're in this cafe
Since she's the only one serving and doing all the takeaway stuff, I think she kind of lost track with the customers sitting in the shop. However, I actually do not mind waiting but since I want to get a nice picture of my dessert and matcha tea, a lot of customers coming in the shop and was looking at me since I was seated near the cashier and I think they will wonder why I did not start eating my desserts but keep on playing with my phone and looking at my diary. However, I met a new friend there, since she's alone and wanted to sit in for some cake and she sat beside me and we started talking to each other and we ended up being friend (which made my day, since I had a company for the rest of the day while waiting for my friend to finish his work). Literally, both of us were doing the same thing, while waiting for the lady to served our matcha soy milk, we did not start eating our lovely match desserts (I'm sorry to anyone whom saw me in this cafe that day, but I think that she need to served everything together (the drinks and cakes), to make it quicker and so that the customer won't be waiting for their matcha tea for 1 hours 30 minutes after they finish enjoying their desserts.

Cafe Menu:
*Changes everyday*
When I was there the menu was; 
  • Matcha Tart
  • Matcha Tiramisu
  • Earl Grey Panna Cotta
  • Matcha Nama Chocolate
  • Matcha Roll Cake Slice
  • Matcha Cheesecake
The desserts that I ordered.
So I ended up ordering the Matcha Tiramisu and Matcha Tart, my friend ordered the Matcha Cheesecake along with a matcha soy milk.

Me with my desserts.
Dessert Ratings (From my POV)
Matcha Tiramisu
Product Evaluation ( 1 = poor, 3 = average, 5 = good)
Taste: 3/5 (I'm not sure why I can't taste the strong cheese flavouring and only tasted the matcha flavour)
Sweetness: 3/5 (The matcha mousse is quite sweet) 

Flavour: 3/5 (Strong matcha flavour) 
Aftertaste: 4/5 (Matcha aftertaste)  
Value for Money Degree: 3/5 (Reasonable price for tiramisu
Recommend Degree: 3/5 (Sadly I can't really taste the cheese flavouring in this matcha tiramisu)
Overall: 3/5

Matcha Tart
Product Evaluation ( 1 = poor, 3 = average, 5 = good)
Taste: 4/5 (Tart filling: strong matcha mousse flavouring; Tart pastry: loving the strong buttery taste)
Sweetness: 3/5 (The matcha mousse filling is quite sweet)
Flavour: 3/5 (Strong matcha flavour)
Aftertaste: 4/5 (Matcha aftertaste
Value for Money Degree: 4/5 (Reasonable price for the tart size)
Recommend Degree: 4/5 (More likely a molten tart rather than a solid one)
Overall: 4/5 

Matcha Cheesecake
Product Evaluation ( 1 = poor, 3 = average, 5 = good)
Taste: 5/5 (Creamy + thick matcha layered with a thin biscuit base
Sweetness: 3/5 (The matcha mousse is quite sweet
Flavour: 3/5 (Strong matcha flavour, which covered up the cheese flavouring
Aftertaste: 4/5 (Matcha aftertaste)  
Value for Money Degree: 4/5 (Reasonable price for the size
Recommend Degree: 4/5 (Sadly I can't really taste the cheese flavouring in this matcha cheesecake)
Overall: 4/5 

Look at the Match Soy Milk size!
Drink Ratings (From my POV) 

Matcha Soy Milk 
Product Evaluation ( 1 = poor, 3 = average, 5 = good)
Taste: 5/5 
Sweetness: 5/5 (A cube of brown sugar was given as an option to be added into the drink
Flavour: 5/5 (Strong matcha flavour and combined well with the soy milk
Aftertaste: 5/5 (Actually I love the aftertaste, which does not give out a bitter taste but more of a soy milk + matcha aftertaste)  
Value for Money Degree: 4/5 (Reasonable portion for the price listed
Recommend Degree: 5/5 (I highly recommend this drink to all matcha lovers
Overall: 5/5

 
I didn't manage to tried the matcha rolls and strawberry matcha cake
I might drop by again next time if I happen to be in Manchester again! 


How to get there?
Address: Unit 3B Nuovo, Great Ancoats Street, Manchester, United Kingdom



Feel free to drop by their official Facebook Page and Instagram Page to see their latest updates.

I will definitely go back for some matcha desserts if I'm in Manchester next time, but for now I'm back in Newcastle😞.

Share:

0 comments